Saturday, July 4, 2009

Travelling lightly.

The other day I sat next to a lady I know who also has arthritis.

Like me she doesn't carry it like a heavy weight on her shoulders that she has to burden others with. She carries it under her arm, lightly and just keeps on going.

We gave updates on how each of us was travelling; the Doctors,the medication, dodging the flu while having a life etc. We see each other often but seldom "catch up" so it was nice to chat for just a moment.

And as we talked about taking care of ourselves it occurred to me that here was another blessing. (Yep another nutty Linda idea.) Getting arthritis has been a blessing to me. Its changed my whole outlook on life. I see the world and other people with the knowledge that underneath that facade they show to the world there maybe a whole lot more going on.

Now I look after myself. I eat well, sleep well, any stress in my life I HAVE to let go of or it'll make me unwell. I'm becoming very good at managing my time as I get tired easier than most and because I manage my time I get so much done. I also plan on time to do nothing. Sunday is my rest day to read or knit or snooze or watch old movies and generally charge my batteries. Yes I'm taking much much better care of my self.

My friend Diane sent me an email that evening. She is always good for a little inspirational something to read and I loved this little list of how to "be" in the world. We're getting too busy being busy, will fill our heads with noise and take away our precious moments of silence. We take silence away from ourselves as if it was an empty wasted thing, those precious moments when we can just be still and quiet, and relish the stillness around us; to be alone with our thoughts just to think or to pray or to listen to the sound of life around us. (Its 6am. How many birds are there out there at the moment! Awesome!!!!)

Let me share this list of things to do daily.

  1. Pray
  2. Go to bed on time.
  3. Get up on time so you can start the day unrushed.
  4. Say no to projects that won't fit into your time schedule, or that will compromise your mental health.
  5. Delegate tasks to capable others
  6. Simplify and unclutter your life.
  7. Less is more ( although one is often not enough , two are often too many)
  8. Allow extra time to do things and to get to places.
  9. Pace yourself. Spread out big changes and difficult projects over time: don't lump the hard things all together.
  10. Take one day at a time.
  11. Separate worries from concerns. If a situation is a concern, find out what God would have you do and let go of the anxiety...If you can't do anything about a situation, forget it!
  12. Live within your budget; don't use credit cards for ordinary purchases.
  13. Have back ups; an extra car key in your wallet, an extra house key buried in the garden, extra stamps etc.
  14. K.M.S ( keep mouth shut)This single piece of advice can prevent an enormous amount of trouble.
  15. Do something for the kid in you every day. (At daisychain when we see Dawn's car drive in we all hide from her, even the customers...its hilarious!)
  16. Carry a bible with you to read while waiting in line. ( or a book to help you grow spiritually...I'm reading some of Sheila Walsh's books at present...fabulous!)
  17. Get enough rest.
  18. Eat right.
  19. Get organised so everything has its place.
  20. Listen to a tape while driving to help improve your quality of life (i'm learning italian! Bellisimo!)
  21. Write down thoughts and inspirations.
  22. Every day find time to be alone.
  23. Having problems ... talk to God on the spot. Try to nip small problems in the bud, don't wait til its time to go to bed to try and pray.
  24. Make friends with Godly people.
  25. Keep a folder of favourite scriptures and quotes on hand.
  26. Remember that the shortest bridge between despair and hope is often a good "thank you Jesus!"
  27. Laugh.
  28. Laugh some more!
  29. Develope a forgiving attitude. (most people are doing the best they can)
  30. Be kind to unkind people (they probably need it the most)
  31. Sit on your ego.
  32. Talk less; Listen more.
  33. Slow down.
  34. Remind yourself that you are not the General Manager of the Universe.
  35. Every night before bed, thing of one thing your grateful for that you've never been grateful for before. God has a way of turning things around for you.

"if God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31

2 comments:

Alaine said...

Hi Linda, having had some personal health issues myself and finding it difficult to cope with physical restrictions that weren't there a couple of years ago, I really appreciate your list.

I'm going to make one of my own! Thanks for sharing!

See you at the Daisy Camp in October!

margie said...

yes who could be against us...i love the list...should print it out for my loo...lol...always a pleasure your company see you ...may be tomorrow...x