Tuesday, September 26, 2006

radio's

From Linda with Love. September /October
On our recent camping trip I had the task of tuning the radio in to get the best reception so Russell (“It’s good to be the king!”) could hear the lions game on Saturday night.
It made me nostalgic for those times when tuning the radio was a lot more every day. I don’t think any of our radios in our cars or home requires tuning! It’s all automatic now. But remember the first portable music devices way before MP3’s or ipods? Those little transistor radio’s and the never-ending battle to get tuned into the station.
Remember holding it to you ear! It was even worse at night when there seemed to be so many more radio stations to sort through. And just when you thought you had the best reception it’d suddenly disappear and you’d madly scramble the dial searching for it only to find an even better reception just a little farther along the dial!
It’s a little bit like life really. Just when we think we’re on the right path we get bumped and lose our direction, only to discover that we were on the wrong path anyway and that a little further on a new and better path is waiting for us. So good in fact that you can handle a few bumps of the “transistor” and still stay firmly on the “station” without a hiccup.
And it’s not by accident that you need to have those bumps! That’s how you discover, on reflection, that you weren’t really tuned in after all.
Scrap booking has helped me to tune in. I’m revisiting times in my life when I thought I was on the station, but really I was struggling with reception. Now I’m tuned in to what will be remembered and what won’t. What’s important and what’s not. The Photo’s I take now are thoughtful. The stories to my layouts are full of detail. I relish the time with my family and don’t yearn for “time out”.
Today we did lunch and the movies. My biggest boy painted the back deck. Middle boy is delighted that his cat caught a mouse and is now a working cat! (A light moment in his busy year 12 schedule) Littlest boy wanted to learn how to iron a button up shirt, but quickly refused to practice on any more shirts in the ironing pile. ( Smart kid) The King is battling the remote control on the TV. Football on two channels oh no! And I’m savouring being in tune with the moment. I think I need to do a layout on radios!

No comments: