Sunday, March 16, 2008

My inheritence


Don't you love those unexpected glimpses; when you catch a view of yourself, as other people see you.
I was in the Medicare office the other day and glanced up at the TV monitor, as you do.
The Lady at the end of the queue wore white trousers that were very unflattering and her T Shirt had ridden up the back, framing her pear shaped derriere. I smiled to myself, but I did admire her lovely colour matching, the orange T Shirt was just lovely....wait a minute

It was me!!! Shock.... Horror!!!

And doesn't it send your confidence tumbling like a house of cards. It took the "John Travolta" right out of my strut!

All these years I thought I didn't look too much like either my mum or my Dad. Oh you could see I belonged; but compared to my brothers I was definitely a hybrid of the two of them. Little did I know that it was all time-sensitive.

And like clockwork, forty years later I happened one day to glance at my knees.
Yep, you guessed it . They're my mum's. Exactly the same. And someone's been drawing on them with red and blue pen!

My favourite inherited body part from my Mum, however, are my hands.
They used to be quite elegant. When I wasn't Nursing I could get my nails nice and long. I was always moisturising, and buffing the nails , pushing cuticles back. Etc etc.
I'd advise Mum on what she needed to do to have "Lovely Nails" Try this product, yes it'll work. Just rub this into your cuticles/nail tips/hands ten times a day. you get the idea. To me with plenty of free time before kids, it seemed so easy. She was obviously not trying hard enough!

Just add twenty five years to those glamorous hands and notice the difference. They've become square and blunt. The knuckles are thick. I struggle with some of my rings, but I'm too vain to get them enlarged (What if i drop a few pounds.) I can't grow any length to the nails. I have freckles on the back of my hands and they always seem dry.

They're my Mum's Hands.

And I know that they are like this because I "MOTHER". We work so hard, my hands and I. Together we make a house , a home; we rub away aches, we give comfort with touch, we nourish and nurture. Sometimes we tackle distasteful tasks, but we do it quickly, efficiently.
They can wield heavy tools if required and then , later, can precisely place a delicate bead or sequin, sew tiny stitches or find an eyelash that is lost in a dear one's eye.

I love that I have my Mum's hands.

I'm not so sure about the knee's.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hello Linda,
What a loverly post... I had a chuckle at the medicare screen ... I get that shock everytime I go past a mirror... and I think whatever happened to that young groovy chick I have in my head mmmm she turned into a mum (I think the mum is a lot nicer/smarter/patient than the young groovy chick she replaced!) . Well thanks for sharing on your blog.
Elizabeth AKA Lucy's Mum.

Listen Toots said...

Thanks so much Elizabeth.
And thanks too for commenting...I've only just figured out how to enable comments.
Ta Ta for now
ttfn
linda